Thursday, June 29, 2006

No lawsuits will be filed...

There was a bit of a custody battle over who would retain ownership over our cherished trippingabout blog. Ken and I filled out the necessary paperwork to decide who had the most legal rights to the website. Well, despite my sister being a future lawyer, I lost out. Actually, though, Ken did most of the writing on the old site and I want him to continue with his stories that are far more entertaining. There is not a chance I would try to get a counter on the bottom of my page in order to compete with how many people have visited his site.

Welcome to my website. In exactly one month, I will be flying out of O'Hare ultimately bound for Okinawa. Unfortunately, my favorite travel partner, Ken, won't be by my side this time as he's headed to Shimane (near Hiroshima). Thanks to keitai (Japanese cell phones) and the text message frenzy of the technologically superior country, we should remain in constant contact. We expect to have completely different experiences so it should be interesting to read both points of view.

A bit about Okinawa --- I will be teaching at Chatan High School, which is located between Naha (the capital) and Okinawa City on Okinawa Island. Okinawa is actually a chain of islands that stretch towards Taiwan. Some of you may recognize the name from the various military bases found in the area or the battles fought during World War II. I'm not sure what city I'll be living in just yet, but it will be a rather urban area. The rest of the islands are full of beautiful tropical beaches and unfortunately, thanks to the humid weather, tropical bugs.

I will be spending the next month trying desperately to soak up some bits and pieces of Japanese and learn more about my living arrangements. Everyone who is already in Okinawa has been unbelievably helpful, which is a good sign of things to come. You can check out more of the specifics of my area of the JET Programme at the Okinawa JET website... www.okinawajet.com.

Mark your calendars for our 2nd Annual Going Away Party on July 22! Same place, any time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome blog, Pinky. I'm turnin' Japanese-a just lookin' at it. Yeah!