Sunday, November 11, 2007

"Shake your groove thang, shake your groove thang"

Somedays I have to remind myself of some of the surreal moments that I experienced on a daily basis in Japan. And, to be honest, I rather miss those completely bizarre moments that threw me for a loop. It's the spice of life.

This morning I went to the gym to take a class that I had never done before. It was a general description. so I wasn't sure what to expect, but figured it would just be a normal class. Well, here comes the instructor. Grey-haired, pigtails, spandex, complaining of a migraine, cursing like a sailor, and shmoozing up to herself in the mirror yelling, "BE SEXY! BE HOT!!!" I kid you not. We began dancing. Without any real rhyme or reason as to what dance move we were doing. There was a lady in the front doing some belly dancing moves. We were spastically jumping around. Women were singing "Mama Mia" outloud as we swiveled our hips and trotted around. Our instructor kept striking poses and sticking her arms up in the air. "SEXY! BE SEXY!!! YOU LOOK HOT!!!!" We did some dancing to classic seventies hits and various people got to pick our next move. Mind you, the next youngest person in the class had to be over 40. As we cooled down to "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" complete with the women singing, I had to admit --- that was some workout.

And this is also why I love going to women-only gyms. Where else would mothers and grandmothers feel comfortable enough to swing their hips and shake their booties before doing their best with jumping jacks? I was probably a bit out of place as far as demographics went, but I haven't witnessed that much uninhibited fun in a long time.

---- Things at work are going great. I am continually busy and enjoy my coworkers. The train ride is pleasant and relaxing. I'll write in more detail soon. Promise. ---

1 comment:

Amy said...

Maybe next week you will go to a pole dancing class at the gym.