Sunday, February 24, 2008

An interesting idea...

Recently, I seem to keep coming across organizations that lend out money to entrepreneurs in poverty-stricken nations. Two examples are Birima and Kiva.

I think this is incredibly interesting, but am not convinced that it's necessarily in the best interests of those that it's supposed to be benefitting. Basically, you loan money to these folks with ideas, usually handicraft makers and restauranteurs, and it's gradually paid back. At Kiva, you can give gift certificates as presents and the recipient chooses what business receives the money.

It's an interesting concept. I'm feeling very charitable lately. Maybe it's because of how generous everyone has been for the Avon Walk. I wish I had loads of money to spend on amazing causes...

No comments: