Sunday, August 06, 2006

Thank goodness for Theresa's internet!

Life in Chatan…

My teachers dropped me off last night after a day of shopping and getting everything set for my apartment. “Call us if you need frappuccino…” They looked worried. They were dropping me off into a foreign land without a car and no plans. They were right to be so nervous. As I entered my apartment, the reality of my situation hit me. I have no car. There’s not much to do in my area. No internet. No TV. Two whole days. I began to spiral into a bit of a depression, although my mood was boosted tremendously by the internet access on my phone and talking to Ken finally! I went for dinner alone last night to the same sushi restaurant I went to with the crew. It’s the only place I really know within walking distance of my home. I ate alone at the sushi bar and came home for a early bedtime.

I woke up on Saturday at 7 am and realized that I couldn’t spend the day in my apartment. And yet, I had no real way to reach any JETs. I got up and went for a walk to find a phone to call my parents. A much needed call home. And then explored a bit in the heat. I found the road that leads down to Mihama Village (the hotspot and ferris wheel of Chatan). I came back, took a shower, and prepared for a walk that could last all day for all I knew. I began walking and it was fine, although hot, for the first half hour. At least it was downhill. Finally around 45 minutes in I reached my destination and immediately soaked in the air conditioning of Jusco, a large department store. After recovering a bit (I’m sure Takako will have a FIT that I walked in the heat for that long), I began exploring. It is the greatest area! I sat on the beach for a bit, I ate a muffin and drank a latte while staring at the ocean, shopped (browsed, no buying) in all of the amazing shops, and soaked in the great atmosphere. And, I also realized that I could email my predecessor and other JETs from my phone. So, I emailed Theresa to say thank you for all of her work and to get her my number. She told me she and another girl, Dona, could meet me at Jusco. I got adopted for the evening and it was nice to be able to talk about JET and Chatan High School and everything that is going on. I was properly distracted. I watched some TV, used the internet briefly, picked up another JET, took her to Yomitan (her apartment), ate sushi at a conveyor belt place, and briefly heard a Eisa performance for Obon. Good times.

I’m not sure what I’m doing tomorrow. I’d like to see some of the Obon celebrations (starts officially tomorrow) and I have to wait around in the afternoon for my washer. I still have no kitchen appliances and no bed or any furniture at all. I saw quite a few things I’d like to buy today and might ask Takako to take me so I can get some bulky things.

Since I don’t know when I can really post online, I type my entries on my computer and save them to my flashdrive. There’s a bit of a delay from actual occurrences and posting time. For the next few weeks, you can email me at rdorsey@ezweb.ne.jp on my phone. The name will change and I’ll let you know what it goes to. Ken and I appreciate your emails and news from home. And pictures to show us what we’re missing. Hope to talk to you all soon!

No comments: